Major new Harry, Meghan dilemma arises

A major Invictus Games announcement today has presented a bit of an issue for the couple – for a number of reasons.

Prince Harry | Herald Sun

The announcement of Prince Harry’s Invictus Games’ return to the UK has presented a significant new dilemma for he and Meghan Markle.

It was revealed on Tuesday that Birmingham has won the bid to host the sporting competition – which involves wounded, injured and sick military personnel and veterans – in 2027, marking only the second time it’s been held in Britain.

Harry, who founded the Games in 2014, will almost certainly return to his home country to attend – but it remains to be seen whether his wife, who has previously taken a front-and-centre position of support during the tournament, will decide to join him.

Harry and Meghan at the closing ceremony of the Invictus Games on September 16, 2023 in Dusseldorf, Germany. Picture: Chris Jackson/Getty Images for the Invictus Games Foundation

The Duchess of Sussex has become widely unpopular in the UK and has scarcely returned since she and Harry quit royal duties in 2020 and relocated to California.

She last visited with her husband and their children in 2022, extending a brief planned visit by almost a fortnight after the late Queen Elizabeth II unexpectedly passed away in Balmoral.

Meghan declined to attend King Charles’ coronation last May, leaving Harry to make a solo appearance. Prior to her RSVP being made public, the frenzied speculation about whether or not she would go pulled significant focus from the royal family and the occasion itself.

With three years to go until the Birmingham Games, and given the royal rollercoaster of recent times, the landscape could have vastly changed by then – but regardless, it’s now certain that the “will-she-or-won’t-she?” question will increasingly dominate conversations in the lead-up.

Another major complicating factor is security, with Harry having lost a High Court battle over being stripped of his UK police protection after moving to the US.

In a statement, Harry said he felt his children – Prince Archie, 5, and Princess Lilibet, 3, could not “feel at home” in Britain if it was “not possible to keep them safe” while there.

He added at the time: “I cannot put my wife in danger like that and, given my experiences in life, I am reluctant to unnecessarily put myself in harm’s way too.”

It’s unlikely there’ll be any repeats of this 2014 scene at the Birmingham event. Picture: Chris Jackson/Getty Images
It’s unlikely there’ll be any repeats of this 2014 scene at the Birmingham event. Picture: Chris Jackson/Getty Images

The new Invictus announcement also puts King Charles and Prince William in a tricky spot, with both having been high-profile attendees at the previous UK Invictus Games in London back in 2014.

However, a lot of drama has unfolded since they proudly supported Harry at the inaugural event, with the Duke of Sussex’s decision to quit royal life and later share details of his grievances with his family causing a major rift from which they’ve never recovered.

While Harry and William are not even on speaking terms, it’s understood he has some communication with his father – although the King still declined to meet with him or attend a special Invictus Games service in London earlier this year.

Despite the potentially awkward situation set to unfold in the coming years, there was no hint of it in Harry’s statement congratulating Birmingham on their win.

“Your city’s strong ties to the armed forces community made it a formidable contender from the very start,” he said.

“Over the years, we’ve seen each city bring a unique spirit and vision to life for competitors, their families and spectators.

“We have no doubt the people of Birmingham will join in celebrating the unwavering respect and admiration we have for our veteran and service community, showing the world how their courage ignites hope and unites us all – something your city knows well.”

Related Posts

⚡🎬 Purple Hearts 2 rumors gaining momentum again, sparking theories about a return no one dares believe—yet can’t stop hoping for 🌙

When Netflix released Purple Hearts on July 29, 2022, the modest romantic drama quickly transformed into one of the streaming giant’s most surprising and durable English-language successes….

Anna Kepner’s Ex-Boyfriend Drops Explosive Claims of Sexual Harassment and Midnight Fights in Heart-Wrenching Post-Funeral Interview – As FBI Closes In on Her Stepbrother in Cruise Ship Murder Probe.

The church bells had barely stopped tolling at The Grove Church in Titusville, Florida, when Joshua Tew stepped into the glaring lights of an Inside Edition camera…

The Chilling New Footage Exposing Anna Kepner’s Final Hours – And Why Her 16-Year-Old Stepbrother Is Now the FBI’s Top Suspect in a Cruise Ship Nightmare.

The high-seas tragedy that gripped the nation two weeks ago has taken a sinister turn, with explosive new surveillance footage and forensic revelations painting a picture of…

Old Money Season 2 rumors exploding online, stirring frenzy with whispered betrayals, collapsing empires, and a devastating twist threatening to rewrite dynamics in Istanbul’s society.

In the glittering underbelly of Istanbul’s elite, where fortunes are forged in boardrooms and broken on yachts, whispers have a way of turning into tsunamis. Just days…

Beauty in Black Season 3 SHOCKER: Kimmie Is Pregnant With Roy’s Baby – And He’s About to Become the Man We NEVER Expected!

Hold on to your wigs, because Tyler Perry just detonated the biggest plot twist in Netflix’s Beauty in Black universe: Kimmie is officially pregnant with Roy’s baby…

Beauty in Black’s Jaw-Dropping Season 3 Twist: 16 Explosive Episodes – Nothing Like Season 2, But the Final 8 Will Leave You Speechless in December!

In a bombshell announcement that’s sending shockwaves through the streaming world, Tyler Perry’s gripping drama Beauty in Black has officially greenlit Season 3, promising a seismic evolution…