⚖️ BREAKING: A Texas Judge Has Rejected Karmelo Anthony’s Bid For A New Trial, Leaving His Murder Conviction And 35-Year Sentence Intact—But A Newly Revealed Message Is Raising Fresh Questions. 🚨
A Texas judge has firmly shut the door on Karmelo Anthony’s bid for a new trial, leaving the 19-year-old’s murder conviction and 35-year prison sentence intact. The ruling, delivered Saturday, rejects claims that courtroom restrictions and jury instructions fatally tainted the June proceedings that found Anthony guilty of fatally stabbing 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a high school track meet near Dallas.
Anthony’s defense team had argued that strict rules imposed during the trial, combined with allegedly improper instructions given to the jury, prevented a fair hearing. They also pointed to disagreements with prosecutors over the scope of evidence that could be presented, specifically an understanding that limited focus to events immediately surrounding the fatal confrontation. The judge was unpersuaded. The conviction stands.
The killing occurred in April 2025 during a multi-school track meet. Anthony, then 17, had seated himself under a tent belonging to Memorial High School of Frisco, where Metcalf competed. Metcalf and other students repeatedly told Anthony to leave the area. According to police reports and witness testimony, the exchange escalated. Anthony issued a warning—“touch me and see what happens”—before Metcalf pushed him. Anthony then pulled a knife from his bag and stabbed Metcalf in the chest. The football standout collapsed and later died from the wound.
Anthony never took the stand during his trial. His lawyers maintained that he acted in self-defense. Prosecutors portrayed him as the aggressor who escalated a verbal dispute into lethal violence by introducing a weapon. Jurors sided with the state, returning a guilty verdict on June 9 and later recommending the lengthy prison term.
The case drew intense national attention, in part because of the racial identities of the two teenagers—Anthony is Black and Metcalf was white. Both the prosecution and defense told the jury the tragedy was not racially motivated. Still, the families of both young men reported receiving harassment and threats in the aftermath, illustrating how quickly a local tragedy can become a flashpoint for broader cultural tensions.
After the conviction, Anthony scored an early procedural victory when the original trial judge, John Roach, was removed from the case. Roach had told a local television reporter that the jurors “got it right.” The comment, made publicly, raised concerns about judicial impartiality and led to his recusal. A new judge then took up the motion for a new trial.
During hearings on that motion, previously withheld evidence surfaced. Prosecutors and defense lawyers had reached what was described as a gentleman’s agreement to keep certain material from the jury. Among the revelations was a 2023 text message in which Anthony wrote, “imma shoot the school up tmr.” The message, never shown to the original jurors, added a disturbing layer to the portrait of the defendant. Other evidence that had been kept from the panel was also discussed, though the judge ultimately concluded that none of it warranted overturning the verdict.
The decision leaves Anthony with limited remaining options. He can pursue a direct appeal challenging the legal sufficiency of the evidence or arguing that specific rulings during trial constituted reversible error. Those proceedings typically move more slowly and face a higher bar. For Metcalf’s family, the ruling provides a measure of finality after more than a year of legal uncertainty and public scrutiny.
The underlying facts of the confrontation remain largely undisputed. Anthony was in a tent that did not belong to his school. He was told to leave. A physical push followed verbal warnings. A knife then ended the argument. Self-defense claims in Texas require a reasonable belief that deadly force is immediately necessary to protect against the unlawful use of force by another. Jurors decided that standard was not met. The judge reviewing the new-trial request found no basis to second-guess that determination.
Courtroom rules that limited certain lines of questioning and restricted public access or media coverage were among the defense’s chief complaints. They contended these measures prevented the full presentation of their case and may have influenced the jury’s perception. The judge disagreed, concluding that the restrictions fell within the court’s authority to maintain order and fairness. Claims about improper jury instructions similarly failed to persuade.
The case has continued to generate secondary controversies. One Texas politician drew criticism for publicly noting the absence of Black jurors on the panel, prompting accusations that he was aligning himself with the convicted teenager. Prosecutors, for their part, have used the post-trial hearings to highlight evidence the jury never saw, including the school-shooting threat text and other communications they described as disturbing. These disclosures have fueled ongoing public debate even as the legal process moves forward.
For those who followed the trial closely, the judge’s decision closes one chapter while leaving others open. The original jury’s verdict reflected their assessment of the evidence presented in open court. The new judge has now affirmed that the process leading to that verdict was sufficiently fair. Anthony will continue serving the 35-year sentence unless a higher court intervenes on appeal.
The tragedy itself remains stark. Two high-school athletes crossed paths under a tent on a spring afternoon. One young man left the scene with a fatal stab wound. The other left in handcuffs and later received a lengthy prison term. Race, self-defense claims, restricted evidence, and judicial comments all became part of the larger narrative, yet the core sequence of events has never been seriously contested. A demand to leave, a push, a knife, and a death. The legal system has now twice concluded that those facts support a murder conviction.
Metcalf’s family has largely stayed out of the public spotlight in recent weeks, focusing instead on private mourning and the hope that the legal process would deliver accountability. Anthony’s supporters have continued to press the self-defense narrative and procedural complaints. Saturday’s ruling represents a clear setback for that effort.
As the case moves into the appellate phase, additional details from the earlier gentleman’s agreement may continue to emerge. The text threatening a school shooting, in particular, has already shifted public discussion. Whether such material would have altered the jury’s verdict remains speculative; the judge who reviewed the new-trial motion concluded it did not undermine the fairness of the original proceedings.
The ruling also underscores the difficulty of obtaining a new trial after a jury has spoken. Texas law sets a high threshold for overturning convictions on the grounds raised by Anthony’s lawyers. Strict courtroom management, disagreements over the scope of evidence, and even a trial judge’s post-verdict comments, while controversial, did not rise to the level required for a do-over. The new judge’s decision reflects that legal reality.
For the broader public, the case continues to serve as a reminder of how quickly ordinary teenage disputes can turn lethal when a weapon is introduced. It also illustrates the challenges courts face in high-profile cases that attract intense media attention and racial interpretation. Both sides insisted race played no role in the stabbing itself. Yet the identities of the victim and defendant ensured the story would be examined through that lens long after the verdict.
Anthony remains incarcerated, serving the sentence imposed after the June conviction. Metcalf’s family continues to live with the permanent absence of a promising young athlete. The judge’s denial of a new trial means that, for now, the legal outcome matches the jury’s original determination. Further appeals will determine whether that outcome survives additional scrutiny. Until then, the conviction and the 35-year prison term stand.