Eminem will play two exclusive concerts in Australia later this year.
The ‘Lighters’ rapper, who was almost deported by immigration minister Philip Ruddock during his visit to the country in 2001 due to his rebellious behaviour, will play two Melbourne and Sydney concerts in December.
Tour promoter Paul Dainty told The Daily Telegraph: “We’re in a different space with Eminem than we were ten years ago. He’s crossed over to the mainstream to become a pop culture icon.”
The 38-year-old star will perform to crowds of up to 50,000 people at the Sydney Football Stadium on December 2 alongside Lil Wayne, who was recently released from prison after serving a sentence for gun possession.
“I’m sure everybody made an offer because, let’s face it, [Eminem is] one of the biggest superstars a promoter could land. He’s iconic,” said Dainty. “We offered Eminem two shows knowing he doesn’t want to tour. We could have done a show in every city, and New Zealand, but that’s not what he’s about. He comes in, does a show here, does a show there, and that’s it.”
Earlier this year, Eminem revealed that he wanted to “make up” for “letting people down” with his behaviour in the past and insisted that he is “grateful” to his fans for their ongoing support.
Australian rappers Hilltop Hoods will reportedly support Eminem during his Australian performances.
Watch the music video for ‘Lighters’ by Eminem’s side project Bad Meets Evil below (contains strong language):