Viggo Mortensen’s potential return to ‘Lord of the Rings’ depends on the script, ‘Unless I’m Broke’

Viggo Mortenses Lord of the Rings Return Hinges on the Script Unless I’m Broke:
Viggo Mortensen MADS CLAUS RASMUSSEN/Ritzau Scanpix/AFP via Getty Images

Whether or not Viggo Mortensen returns for the new Lord of the Rings movies depends on the script.

“I haven’t read a script. So I don’t know,” Mortensen told The Hollywood Reporter in an interview published on Sunday, June 30. “The script is the most important thing to me unless I’m broke, I have no money and I’m lucky to get any job. So it depends.”

Kylie Kelce ‘Had to Fangirl’ Over Erin Andrews and Charissa Thompson at ‘Eras Tour’

This is not the first time Mortensen has addressed his potential return to Middle-earth. Speaking about the new films with GQ in May, Mortensen said he wanted to avoid returning to the role of Aragorn for “silly” reasons.

“I don’t know exactly what the story is, I haven’t heard,” he told the outlet in an interview last month. “I would only do it if I was right for it in terms of, you know, the age I am now and so forth. I would only do it if I was right for the character. It would be silly to do it otherwise.”

Mortensen famously portrayed Aragorn in Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings film trilogy, based on the fantasy novels of the same name by J.R.R. Tolkien. Mortensen also had to be convinced to take on the role in those initial films, only agreeing to play the secret royal at the insistence of his son, Henry.

Viggo Mortenses Lord of the Rings Return Hinges on the Script Unless I’m Broke:
Solly Mcleod and Viggo Mortensen MICHAL CIZEK/AFP via Getty Images

Warner Bros. Discovery originally announced new LOTR movies were in the works in 2023. CEO David Zaslav provided an update in May, saying that new Lord of the Rings movies were “in the early stages of script development” and the company “anticipate[s] releasing in 2026.”

Zaslav added that the movies will “explore storylines yet to be told.” The first film is currently under the working title Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for GollumAndy Serkis will reprise his role of Gollum from the original film trilogy and is set to direct the first of two new films from New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures.

“Yesssss, Precious. The time has come once more to venture into the unknown with my dear friends, the extraordinary and incomparable guardians of Middle-earth Peter, Fran and Philippa,” Serkis said in a statement at the time, per THR.

Jackson, who helmed both the original films and The Hobbit trilogy from 2012-2014, “will be involved every step of the way” as well, per Zaslav, along with longtime writing partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens.

“It is an honor and a privilege to travel back to Middle-earth with our good friend and collaborator, Andy Serkis, who has unfinished business with that stinker — Gollum!,” Jackson, Boyens and Walsh said in a statement. “As lifelong fans of Professor Tolkien’s vast mythology, we are proud to be working with [WBD film chiefs] Mike De LucaPam Abdy and the entire team at Warner Bros. on another epic adventure!”

Related Posts

SHOCKING EXIT: Jimmy Kimmel Drops Bombshell—‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ Ends, He’s Bolting to Canada for Good! 🌟

In a jaw-dropping revelation that has left the entertainment world reeling, late-night TV legend Jimmy Kimmel has announced that “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” will officially end on January 20—but that’s not all. Kimmel also…

Patrick Mahomes & Brittany Matthews Share First Close-Up Pic of Their Baby Girl! But Fans Are Shocked by a Strange Condition… 

Kansas City Chiefs superstar Patrick Mahomes and his wife, Brittany Matthews, have finally shared the first close-up photo of their newborn baby girl, and while the internet was buzzing with excitement, the conversation…

Fox News Shocker: Kennedy Montgomery’s Cryptic Message to Kat Timpf on Gutfeld! Leaves Fans Baffled! 🌟💥

**Kennedy Montgomery Sends Heartfelt Message to Kat Timpf Amid Cancer Battle**In a touching display of camaraderie and support, Fox News star Kennedy Montgomery has stepped in to…

Rihanna WARNS Tyla for Stealing Her Song and Copying Her Look: A Story of Artistic Integrity

The music industry has seen its fair share of feuds, but when a global icon like Rihanna speaks up, the world listens. And this time, the Fenty Beauty mogul and…

Donna Gushes Over Taylor’s iHeartRadio Win—Calls Her ‘My Daughter’ & Jokes Travis Is ‘Naughty’

It’s official—Donna Kelce is all in when it comes to Taylor Swift! The proud mother of Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce couldn’t contain her excitement after Taylor’s record-breaking…

KAROLINA PROTSENKO TAKES OVER AMERICA’S GOT TALENT STAGE: From Violin to DANCE—Her Spontaneous Performance Will Leave You SPEECHLESS!

Music fans know Karolina Protsenko as a violin prodigy, mesmerizing crowds with her soulful, emotionally charged performances on the streets and social media. But no one expected…